A POWERFUL COMBINATION OF LEADERS.
On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.
On February 4th, 1995, The Nassau, Bahamas Pan-Hellenic Council was officially chartered by the NPHC, becoming the first international council, outside of the United States of America to be chartered.
The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”
1906 Cornell University, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.
1908 Howard University, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc.
1911 Indiana University, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc.
1911 Howard University, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc.
1913 Howard University, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.
1914 Howard University, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc.
1920 Howard University, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc.
1922 Butler University, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc.
1963 Morgan State University, Iota Phi Theta Fraternity Inc.